Rumor around the University of Utah Newborn Intensive Care Unit is........ WE GET TO BRING OUR BABY HOME THIS WEEKEND!!!!!! :D
The U did give us some rules though.
- Jaela can't have any visitors until RSV season is over. It is so risky and life threatening to her that she qualified for a special shot to help protect her against it. RSV is not just something that would make her sick enough to go back into the hospital. It would kill her. And we don't want to take any chances.
- On top of the no visitors rule, especially no one under 14 is allowed to visit because they tend to not realize the seriousness of her fragility and the risk of illness to her.
- She shouldn't be passed around to be held. It's too hard on her to pass her around and there is too big of a chance of her bones breaking. My aunt Sandy says she's a lookie baby and not a touchie baby :) I know it's hard to see a baby and not hold it, but it's just so risky. Her own grandpa Bennett hasn't even gotten to hold her yet.
But there is other news for today too. Jaela got to move into a big girl bed. She was in this bed for a while because they weren't putting any clothes on her and the bar at the top is a heater to keep her warm. But it's been turned off for a couple days so they decided she could move into a crib.
This is the crib and hopefully it will only be her home for a few more nights.

More big news is that I put in her feeding tube today....and we both survived! :) I was so nervous to do it though. The feeling was like standing at the edge of a diving board trying to get the nerve to jump. I would get the tube to her nose and then chicken out and pull it away. She was crying and I was shaking. But I finally worked up the courage to do it and it went pretty ok. She only cried for a little bit afterward and then she was fine.
Home Health came in today and got us set up with the feeding pump and oxygen that we'll use at home. Girlfriend goes through a lot of oxygen! She may need up to two tanks a day! She's sure does have a lot of equipment to keep her going.
Home Health came in today and got us set up with the feeding pump and oxygen that we'll use at home. Girlfriend goes through a lot of oxygen! She may need up to two tanks a day! She's sure does have a lot of equipment to keep her going.
I thought this was super cute today. Jeremy put his head down by Jaela's hand and she started playing with his hair! Just returning the favor I guess :)
Jaela has won over most of the people in the NICU. Her nurse today bought her some new outfits that have snaps down the front so they're easy to get on her. She's a charmer already!
She has won grandma B. over too, and I don't get to see her as often as the nurses. We are so excited for you guys. You have been so strong and diligent. We are proud of you both.
ReplyDeleteLove you guys!
Mom B.
YAY YAY YAY!!!!! MOST of this is wonderful news...but does that mean I won't get to see her when we come? :( If not, I understand. I would feel awful if I was the one who got her sick. I'm SO happy that she will get to go HOME!!! We will be saying prayers of thanks tonight!
ReplyDeleteThat video is so cute! So fun that she returned the favor! :)
I'm so glad that you both survived the feeding tube! I don't know how you did it! That would be totally nurve wracking!
Congratulations on being in a big girl bed, Jaela! And happy 4 week birthday yesterday!!! We love you!
I was just showing Kate Jaela's pictures and said, "do you see the cute baby?" Kate said, "bayba" and waved to her! Just thought it was cute and had to share!
ReplyDeleteWow that is so great. Im so happy for you. We have been praying for you guys. I hope everything goes smoothly at home. You seem to be great parents for Jaela. By the way she is SOOO cute.
ReplyDeleteThis is the greatest news! Congratulations you guys!
ReplyDeleteHooray!!! Congratulations! I'm so glad you guys got some good news! I think it was a good idea that you posted the good news and in the same post the RSV precautions. Good parents. I love the video and the big girl bed. And kudos to Stacey on putting in the feeding tube. That is amazing. I'm mostly just excited that you guys get to take your beautiful little girl home. I hope you won't stop posting when you go home. I love reading the baby Jaela updates. We love you guys.
ReplyDeleteYAHOO! YIPEE! We are SO, SO happy for you!!:) Little Jaela is so very blessed to have you for her parents! You are amazing! You have fought for what is best for her, through ups and downs and thicks and thins, even though it has been so difficult. Heavenly Father has entrusted her to YOU, not to the "experts" and you are doing such a wonderful job! We are SO happy that your persistance has paid off and that you get to bring her home at last! We will pray hard that the transition goes smoothly and well and that you will continue to have the strength that you need! We will keep praying hard that beautiful little Jaela gets better and better each day! She is indeed a little miracle! We LOVE seeing all of the cute, cute pictures and videos of her! Kiss her sweet little cheeks for us!! With lots of Love from Lynette and all the Shookies!
ReplyDeleteWow! WOW! I am SO happy to hear your great news! All three of you have worked so hard to get to this point. Jaela is a fighter indeed. But she is also so blessed to have such loving, diligent parents. Go Bennetts!! :)
ReplyDelete