It's been about a month since I've posted and it's been a very busy month. First, we finally moved!! We had been living in a one bed, one bath apartment for four years. It had gotten way to small for the three of us and we found these great apartments (well, twin homes) that we could actually afford! We went from one bed, one bath, 450 sq. ft., to three beds, two baths, and nearly 1200 sq. ft.!! We love it here and we're in a little neighborhood. I'll take pictures as soon as it's clean :) and maybe with something hanging on the walls.
A few days later we took our little stinker to Moon Lake thinking she'd have a blast putting her feet in the sand and being outside and seeing new things....
But mostly her attitude about it was this.....
We had to come home early because she quit eating, and what little bit she did take was thrown up almost immediately. As soon as we got home she perked right back up and eating like a champ. We hated to leave Moon Lake early, but it was worth it to get Jaela feeling better.
We got home on a Saturday and on Tuesday we had our next Shriner's appointment. This one didn't go as well as last time. Like before, we went to Primary Children's first to have their IV team put the IV in. Last time, one try. This time, four. They poked her left hand, her right foot, and her right hand twice before they finally got it in. As hard as it was on me, Jaela, and my mom to have to go through that, I think it was almost harder on one of the men helping. He had to sit down and take a break after three pokes. Of course they all felt bad but as soon as it was over Jaela forgave them and smiled. I know I wouldn't have been smiling at the people that poked me four times. (I think after it was finally in she kind of liked it. It was like a toy :) She would stick her arm straight out into the air and just look at it, then, of course, stick it in her mouth.)

After that ordeal, we were on our way to Shriners. When it was finally my turn at the check-in desk I gave them her name, birthday, etc. and they said that she didn't have an appointment. It had been cancelled. I just about threw a fit. I told them no one had called to tell me it was cancelled and we'd just spent two hours getting an IV and they were going to get her in TODAY! The receptionist called around (for about half an hour) and the people upstairs knew we were coming, but we couldn't get started until Jaela got checked in. But we couldn't check in because the computer said we didn't have an appointment. We finally got her checked in and the the IV running. Day one: over.
Day two: No problems.
Day three:...... We get to Shriners. They don't know we're coming. Our appointment has been cancelled and they can't check us in. So we go through the same thing as the first day. We get her upstairs and she was happy and smiling and chatting with everyone that walked in. Then the IV started. No more happy baby. I think her IV had gone bad and they didn't realize it. She cried and cried and cried for hours. We tried giving her Tylenol and she threw it up. Her arm swelled to about three times the normal size. She finally passed out on my mom's shoulder and the nurse aid wants to come in and check her temperature and oxygen levels which always wake her up. I told her no and she got mad at me but I had to stand my ground. Sleeping was her only relief at that point. That aid wasn't too happy with me the rest of the time because I kept turning her away. Oh well. You do what you have to do. We woke her up to take the IV out and as soon as that thing was gone she was a different baby. She was happy again. Thankfully the nurse (not the same as the aid) didn't poke her to take blood afterwords. She said Jaela had had enough and we could go.
This cute little girl next to Jaela has OI too. She was also at Shriner's for Pamidronate. It was fun to see another little one with OI. She was so cute and so fun!
And what you've been waiting for: pictures, and this time videos too!
Jeremy making her laugh...
Jeremy napping with her.....



Napping....

Napping.... (I promise that's not all she does)

Waking up from a nap to find herself under my pillow....

Being a happy girl.....


Wearing the cute shoes Great-Grandma Turner made for her...
Playing in her jumper for the first time.....




Thinking mom's doing a bad job with my hair....
The aftermath of the bad hair-do...

A few days later we took our little stinker to Moon Lake thinking she'd have a blast putting her feet in the sand and being outside and seeing new things....
We got home on a Saturday and on Tuesday we had our next Shriner's appointment. This one didn't go as well as last time. Like before, we went to Primary Children's first to have their IV team put the IV in. Last time, one try. This time, four. They poked her left hand, her right foot, and her right hand twice before they finally got it in. As hard as it was on me, Jaela, and my mom to have to go through that, I think it was almost harder on one of the men helping. He had to sit down and take a break after three pokes. Of course they all felt bad but as soon as it was over Jaela forgave them and smiled. I know I wouldn't have been smiling at the people that poked me four times. (I think after it was finally in she kind of liked it. It was like a toy :) She would stick her arm straight out into the air and just look at it, then, of course, stick it in her mouth.)
After that ordeal, we were on our way to Shriners. When it was finally my turn at the check-in desk I gave them her name, birthday, etc. and they said that she didn't have an appointment. It had been cancelled. I just about threw a fit. I told them no one had called to tell me it was cancelled and we'd just spent two hours getting an IV and they were going to get her in TODAY! The receptionist called around (for about half an hour) and the people upstairs knew we were coming, but we couldn't get started until Jaela got checked in. But we couldn't check in because the computer said we didn't have an appointment. We finally got her checked in and the the IV running. Day one: over.
Day two: No problems.
Day three:...... We get to Shriners. They don't know we're coming. Our appointment has been cancelled and they can't check us in. So we go through the same thing as the first day. We get her upstairs and she was happy and smiling and chatting with everyone that walked in. Then the IV started. No more happy baby. I think her IV had gone bad and they didn't realize it. She cried and cried and cried for hours. We tried giving her Tylenol and she threw it up. Her arm swelled to about three times the normal size. She finally passed out on my mom's shoulder and the nurse aid wants to come in and check her temperature and oxygen levels which always wake her up. I told her no and she got mad at me but I had to stand my ground. Sleeping was her only relief at that point. That aid wasn't too happy with me the rest of the time because I kept turning her away. Oh well. You do what you have to do. We woke her up to take the IV out and as soon as that thing was gone she was a different baby. She was happy again. Thankfully the nurse (not the same as the aid) didn't poke her to take blood afterwords. She said Jaela had had enough and we could go.
This cute little girl next to Jaela has OI too. She was also at Shriner's for Pamidronate. It was fun to see another little one with OI. She was so cute and so fun!
Jeremy making her laugh...
Jeremy napping with her.....
Napping....
Napping.... (I promise that's not all she does)
Waking up from a nap to find herself under my pillow....
Being a happy girl.....
Wearing the cute shoes Great-Grandma Turner made for her...
Thinking mom's doing a bad job with my hair....
Yay! I've been craving a Jaela update. I missed seeing you guys at Moon Lake by 2 hours and was so sad! Glad she's doing better. Love the pictures!
ReplyDelete