I'm not sure if I've ever really said why she's on it so I'll explain again. When Jaela was hospitalized in September the doctors figured it was pulmonary hypertension (high blood pressure in the lungs for those of you, like me, that don't speak doctor) that was causing all of her health issues. They put her on oxygen basically to treat the hypertension. It had nothing to do with her oxygen saturation levels like when she came home from the NICU. We went to a Cardiologist in March and they did an echocardiogram (ultrasound of her heart). I'm not exactly sure how the heart plays into it, only that that's how they test for it. Anyway, the cardiologist said her heart looked great and didn't see any indications of hypertension and gave us the ok start weaning her oxygen in the day. She still has to wear oxygen when she sleeps though. I'm not sure if I wrote about this either, but in October we did a sleep study on Jaela and she does have sleep apnea. Without O2 at night her saturation levels were dropping into the 70's. Our pediatrician said that it's possible to outgrow sleep apnea so we'll go back again this October and have her tested again and see if we can start weaning oxygen in the night and hopefully be completely off of it eventually.
And here are two cute pictures of miss Jaela just for fun. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment