Jaela & Hadley

Jaela & Hadley

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Our Trip to Omaha

By the way, we went to Omaha.


I wish it would have been for something more fun, but we went for the OI clinic. The hospital there is the hospital in the country for OI. It was absolutely beautiful and we were treated wonderfully. It was nice to go somewhere and not have to explain what OI is and get confused looks. It was a lot of work and a lot of stress to get us there but it was worth it.


It was the same format as the clinic at SLC's Shriners. We sat in a room and an army of doctors and therapists and dentists and every other health care professional imaginable paraded through for six hours. We went mostly to talk to the Orthopedic Surgeon to see about rodding Jaela's legs. He told us that she's have to be pulling to a stand to qualify (which we already knew) so we didn't talk for very long which was disappointing, but we're rethinking doing her surgery's there anyway. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to get her home if she's in a spica cast like when she broke her femur. See this massive contraption? 


That's what we had in our car. It's the only thing she'd fit it. It weighs about 50 lbs and takes up at least two seats in a car. How do you suppose we work one of those onto a plane? So we may ask our Ortho at Primary's if he's comfortable rodding her legs and go from there. But for now I guess it's on the back burner.

 Jaela got to ride in a plane for the first time (I wonder if it's better than a helicopter). She did amazingly well the whole time. I thought for sure we'd be those people with the baby that cries the whole time that get dirty look from everyone within earshot. But for two of the four flights she slept the whole way and the other two she just played quietly, or was spoiled and got to watch the movie. 


(On a side note, why in the world do you  have to have a layover for a two hour flight? We had to stop in Denver both times! I swear the plane didn't even level off before the pilot announced we were descending. I don't even think the seat belt light turned off. I guess when I run the airline system I'll change it.)



We didn't spend the whole time in Omaha in the hospital. We did get to go to the zoo before we had to be to the airport which was a fun little detour. Supposedly the zoo there is really great but this is about the only warm-blooded animal we saw (the little fur ball in the corner). But I think we just got there too late in the day and all the animals had been put away. 


Oh wait, we did see these pig things. I guess they'd be warm-blooded.


We still had fun walking around and Jaela loved that she got to be outside. 



And just so you know, there was a tornado while we were there. It wasn't close but it was the first tornado Nebraska had in February in 60 years. Just our luck.



1 comment:

  1. so to start off I will just tell you that my name is Julie and that I follow and have fallin' in love with your little lady, she is just a doll! Next I came upon your blog because of your cousin, I believe, Melissa. And the last thing is that I have you guys and your little lady in my thoughts a lot since reading your post, and I am in the young women's presidency in my ward, so I have coming up for our combined young women's activity this month altering clothes for OI babies. If there is anyway that you could e-mail me so that I could ask you a few questions that would be awesome. my e-mail is julescarlson817@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete